Sunday, October 28, 2012

Lessons on Writing from Ben Franklin


Political Science majors dread the Junior Year Writing requirement at UMass. Even before I ever taught the class, I knew that students dreaded it.  Faculty complained about low attendance and poor year end evaluations.   Students put off the class until the last moment; others did the least amount of work possible; others grin and bear it.   But no one seems to enjoy it. 

The semester began this year, my first semester teaching the class, with a perfect reminder of the dilemma I faced.  I have a handful of returning students who have attended my classes in past.  I thought this might be a good sign.  You know, like a sign that students were excited to take a class with me.  Not quite.  In one student’s words “well, if I have to take the class, I might as well take it with you.”  So, the semester began with a reluctant concession to turn rotten wormy apples into apple sauce.  

But why?  Despite its subpar reputation, the principle behind the class is noble:  help students develop advanced writing skills tailored to a particular academic or professional community.   U.S. News & World Report even named it as one of the twenty-five “Programs that Work.” 

Still, students expect the worse and unless you can counter those expectations…well, that’s what they’ll get. In order for the class to be successful, the students need to buy into the value.  After all, the only way for them to develop “advanced writing skills” is to commit the time and energy to the craft of writing.  And that’s on them…not the teacher.

So, here’s a reminder of why writing matters for Political Science students:  

In 1729 the people of Philadelphia debated whether or not to increase the amount of paper money in the colony.   BenFranklin recounts the story in his autobiography:
“Our debates possessed me so fully of the subject that I wrote and printed an anonymous pamphlet on it, entitled “The Nature and Necessity of a Paper Currency.” It was well received by the common people in general, but the rich men disliked it, for it increased and strengthened the clamor for more money; and they happening to have no writers among them that were able to answer it, their opposition slackened and the point was carried by a majority in the House.  My friends there, who considered I had been of some service, thought fit to reward me by employing me in printing the money; a very profitable job and a great help to me.  This was another advantage gained by my being able to write.”
Over the last three centuries, there have been monumental changes in communication technology (obviously).  But there is one thing that hasn’t changed: The ability to write, to connect and to communicate effects change.  It matters for politics, it matters for business and it matters for life. 

I appreciate the value of the UMass writing requirements, but they might consider investing in some good PR.  

No comments:

Post a Comment